If you asked me a few months ago what my favourite vegetable was, it would have been a hard toss up between broccoli and asparagus but now I think the green tree-like vegetable has been taken over by its paler cousin cauliflower. Even though cauliflower has been trending for some time now, I used to find it quite bitter and avoid it at all cost. I am not sure if my taste buds have matured or if the local farmers are doing a better job at growing this vegetable but the point is I am converted into a cauliflower addict. The first seed that was planted for this change of heart came at the dinner table at Maggie Jones’s restaurant in London when I tasted their cauliflower cheese that seemed like my answer to a healthier mac & cheese without sacrificing all the creamy decadence. Then the seed grew and flourished when I was on the cabbage soup diet and on day two I made roasted cauliflower for a snack and I couldn’t stop eating it, hot or cold it was delicious and guilt-free. The last recipe I saw pictures on Pinterest of cauliflower rice and since I stopped eating rice when I was 14 and preparing for a modeling competition it seemed perfect for me. So you get the point, I love cauliflower and with these three recipes you will too, especially since it is so easy to make.
Cauliflower 3 ways
Cut the cauliflower at the base of the stalks.
Once your cauliflower is cooking make the cheese sauce.
You can either put the cauliflower in the sauce or the sauce over the cauliflower, either way make sure each floret of cauliflower is smothered before topping with more cheese.
- 1 head of cauliflower (approx .5 kg)
- 3 tablespoons butter
- 3 tablespoons flour
- 1.5 cups milk
- 1 tablespoon mustard
- 1 cup cheddar cheese
- dash of nutmeg (optional)
- salt and pepper
- Preheat oven to 375°F
- Cut the cauliflower at the base of the stalks
- Cook cauliflower in boiling water for 3-5 mins, until a fork slides into it easily but the cauliflower doesn’t fall off.
- Melt butter in pan and stir in the flour and cook for a minute. Gradually add milk over a simmer then stir in mustard and half of the cheese until the sauce is thick.
- Put the cauliflower in a dish and then pour the sauce on top and mix well.
- Top with remaining cheese and bake for 25 mins and then broil on high for 10mins until the top is brown and bubbling.
- Rest for 5-10mins and serve.
- To reheat please use an oven at 350°F
Chop cauliflower and mix with other ingredients.
Roast for 15-20 mins until brown
- .5 kg cauliflower
- 1.5 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon minced garlic
- Preheat oven 475°F
- Chop cauliflower and mix with other ingredients.
- Roast for 15-20 mins until brown
- This recipe will have your kitchen smelling absolutely divine!
Live, Love, Eat!
- 1 head of cauliflower
- Chop the cauliflower roughly.
- Put cauliflower in food processor and blitz on low for about a minute until it is grainy.
- Store in sealed bags or containers in the freezer or refrigerator until ready to use.
- I sauté 1/2 an onion, diced, with 3 garlic cloves, diced in 1 tablespoon of olive oil for each head of cauliflower for 3-5 mins and finish with fresh chopped parsley.