I feel like I keep going on about the Summer but everything just seems to be better when the sun is shining – people are more friendly, more sociable; the days are longer and I find it much easier to dress for the heat. Salads are great for these high temperatures that bring with them new levels of humidity and absolutely no sea breeze; this crayfish salad is light and also has the added benefit of allowing you to attain or maintain that summer body.
I created this crayfish recipe on a whim. I woke up one morning and saw that a friend had pinned a beautiful picture of a salad on Pinterest and I was immediately inspired to make a salad that looked similar for my lunch that day using whatever I had in the fridge at the time. I clearly got carried away when my crayfish salad took shape because it was so gorgeous and I couldn’t stop taking pictures, to the point where I was a little late for work but it was SO worth it.
Food that is stunning to look at is so much more fun to eat. All day I was waiting for lunchtime to arrive so that I could make everyone at the office jealous of my salad. The only regret I had was that I didn’t make more. This recipe is incredibly easy, all you have to do is chop and toss then enjoy!
Live, Love, Eat!
- 135g lettuce (in a bag), approx. 2 large handfuls
- 30g walnuts (approx. 6), finely chopped
- 100g cooked and peeled crayfish tails
- 6 baby plum tomatoes
- 1 spring onion, chopped
- 1/2 inch of ginger, finely chopped
- 2 slices of bacon
- 1 mild chilli pepper (such as anaheim), sliced
- 1 handful of parsley, chopped
- 1 handful of coriander/cilantro, chopped
- 1 lime
- 2 tbsps chilli oil
- In a frying pan, over medium heat, add a drop of oil and then cook the bacon for 2 minutes on each side and then remove from the heat.
- Slice or chop all the ingredients, to include the bacon but not the crayfish, and put in a bowl
- Squeeze a lime over the salad and then drizzle 1.5 tbsps of chilli oil.
- Toss and serve immediately.
- I didn't have avocado but if I did I would have had it.
- If you are preparing this salad for later, do not dress it until you are ready to eat it as the oil will make the lettuce wilt.