For me the best type of breakfast is one that includes a runny egg yolk and Eggs Benedict is definitely a recipe that fits this criteria. If you are intimidated by having to poach an egg don’t be, you may have heard of the “vortex method” where you make a mini whirlpool in the pot before dropping the egg in it, but that has never worked for me so if it hasn’t worked for you either don’t worry. I found that by using a ladle to submerge the egg into the water with salt and vinegar I end up with a perfectly poached egg. Fresh eggs will give you the best results (you can see how easy it is to test for fresh eggs on The Yummy Truth’s Facebook Page).
I made this recipe after watching a Masterchef elimination challenge where some people failed to produce a perfect Eggs Benedict and I wanted to see if I could do it successfully. This dish is usually something I would only enjoy when I ordered it for brunch at a restaurant but now that I see how easily it can be done at home there is no need to wait to enjoy that moment where you cut into the delicate egg yolk and mop up the English muffin with salty ham in velvety yellow deliciousness. I don’t care what anyone says, people of all ages love dipping food into perfectly cooked eggs whether it is Eggs & Soldiers or Eggs Benedict there is a warm feeling that comes with that first plunge.
Live, Love, Eat!
- 2 English muffins
- 4 slices prosciutto, (parma ham, Serrano, candian bacon)
- 3 tablespoons vinegar
- 4 large eggs
- 4 egg yolks
- 1/2 lemon or 1 lime juice about 1 tablespoon
- ½ cup unsalted butter, melted
- cayenne pepper and salt
- Make your hollandaise by whisking egg yolks and lemon until the mixture is thick and doubled in volume. Do this in a bowl that you can place over simmering water and continue whisking so that eggs do no scramble.
- Slowly drizzle butter into egg yolks and continue whisking until the sauce thickens. Remove from heat and add a dash of cayenne and salt. Cover and place in a warm spot until ready for use.
- Poach your eggs: boil kettle (before making sauce) then put on hob add salt to make it boil more and then add vinegar. Crack eggs into ramekins and then swirl water with a spoon before gently dropping eggs into the centre of your swirl. Leave eggs to simmer for 5 mins.
- Toast English Muffins
- Lightly butter muffins, place prosciutto or choice of pork, then top with egg, hollandaise and freshly ground black pepper.
- This recipe teaches you a proven accident-free method for poaching eggs that can be used with any recipe that requires a poached egg.