Before you read the title “Grilled Chicken Salad” and think boring, you just wait one second. Take a moment and transform that thought into “oh my gosh this is one of the most visually appealing salads ever and it features perfectly cooked, tender, seasoned chicken breasts, with sweet and salty flavours, crunchy and creamy textures in one healthy bowl that only takes a few minutes to prepare.” Now you understand why this recipe deserves a spot on theyummytruth.com right?
We’ve all heard “mind over matter” but it is easy not to apply it to everything and in this case I want us to use our minds to rethink salads. (If you are already a salad craving junkie you can just jump to the recipe below but if not hear me out). Most times I build my meal around the protein but rarely do I think of the protein and then say let me use it to make a salad, I usually jump to pairing it potatoes perhaps another veg or pasta if I’m having a bad day.
In general when I think of salads I do not get excited, in fact I am guilty of thinking ” but I don’t feel for rabbit food” but I am beginning to reprogram my mind and that is because of this Grilled Chicken Salad recipe. It has all the elements of a great meal and more importantly I feel better after eating it. This salad is the perfect lunchtime meal because you won’t be left feeling sluggish when you have wiped the bowl clean but instead your body will thank you and it provides a yummy break from work that will help you get in the right state of mind to get right back to it.
This recipe is the perfect addition to our repertoire for the lifestyle changes that will lead to sustainable weight loss and healthy living.
Live, Love, Eat!
- 1 chicken breast
- large handful of baby spinach
- 1 slice of prosciutto
- 5 cherry/grape tomatoes
- 1 medium slice of avocado, sliced into slivers
- 2 tablespoons dried cranberries
- 1 tablespoons honey roasted pecans, chopped
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 tablespoons balsamic vinegar
- 2 tablespoons sage
- salt and pepper
- Heat a grill pan over medium-high heat.
- Rinse chicken breast and season with sage and a good pinch of salt and pepper on both sides.
- Spread .5 tbsp of olive oil on the grill pan and cook chicken on each side for 4 minutes (If your chicken breast is thick make it thin with a meat tenderizer or by hitting it with wine bottle after covering it with cling film).
- Remove the chicken breast and let it sit on a clean chopping board or plate. Cook the prosciutto on the grill pan for about a minute on each side.
- Put all the ingredients in a bowl except your proteins the olive oil and balsamic vinegar. Mix well.
- Combine .5 tbsp of olive oil with balsamic vinegar and pour over salad. Mix well.
- Slice chicken breast and place on top of your salad followed by chopped crispy prosciutto.
- This salad dressing is a simple dressing that can be used on a variety of salads.