The weather in New York for the past few days has reminded me of London and one of the places I always visit when I am there Nando’s. My favourite thing on their menu is Mango-Lime Chicken Wings, which were first introduced to me by my sister. I decided to have a go at making my own version of Nando’s recipe with a dream that they’d look and taste irresistible. In pictures I used to enviously stare at the grill marks on wings wishing I could magically make them appear on my baked chicken wings. I have now been able to put my jealousy to rest because thanks to the help of a cast iron grill pan, I have my own grill marks.
These chicken wings are perfect for large gatherings or a quick snack. They came out so well that I can’t wait to make them for my housewarming in a couple of weeks. I was tempted to add red pepper flakes but I fought the urge so that everyone can enjoy the sweetness of the mango, sharp freshness of scallion (or spring onion) and a kick of lime.
Season wings with chicken seasoning, paprika, chilli powder, juice of half a lime, salt & pepper.
For indoor grilling nothing beats a cast iron grill pan!
You can see the sweetness this mango looks so good.
These are my best wings ever!
Live, Love, Eat!
- 10 chicken wings
- 1 tablespoon chicken seasoning
- 1 tablespoon paprika
- 1/2 tablespoon chilli powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black pepper
- 3 limes
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/2 cup mango chutney
- 1 stalk of scallion
- 1 ripe mango
- 2 teaspoons of minced ginger
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- Trim fat from wings, cut off the tips and half them before washing with 2 tbsps of vinegar.
- Season wings with chicken seasoning, paprika, chilli powder, juice of half a lime, salt & pepper.
- Over medium-low heat in a small saucepan add butter and oil.
- Chop the scallion keeping the green end separate from the white end.
- Once butter melts add garlic, zest of two limes, mango chutney, 1 tbsp vinegar, ginger and white end of scallion before turning the heat down to low until ready to serve.
- Grease your cast iron grill pan(with oil or spray) and put it on the stove over medium heat.
- Place wings perpendicular to the ridges on the grill pan and cook for 6-8 minutes on each side.
- Cut cubes of mango, which can be done easily by cutting the sides and scoring the pulp before cutting off the squares.
- Coat the cooked wings in sauce, plate and garnish with the green end of scallion and mango cubes.