For some, today is one of excitement – flowers, chocolates, kisses and hugs- for others, today came with dread. For me, I am neutral because I don’t have any expectations. My mind is not even on that special someone or lack of that special someone, but I wanted to share with you a dessert that is particularly fitting for Valentine’s Day. This white chocolate mousse is perfect for drowning your sorrows or to share for pre-Valentine’s-Day-lovin’.
As are most of my recipes, this is short and simple, with a reward so sweet you will be licking the bowls, the spatula and the whisk. Or maybe that’s just me because I am greedy. There is something about white chocolate that has a creamier sweetness than regular milk chocolate and I can’t help but eat the baking chips straight from the bag. Coming from a true chocoholic any chocolate will work, so make your Valentine’s Day this year a yummy one!
Live, Love, Eat!
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 egg whites
- 1/8 cup sugar (superfine)
- ¼ cup heavy cream
- 1/3 cup white chocolate baking chips
- 2/3 cup heavy cream
- ½ teaspoon vanilla essence
- Graham Crackers (optional)
- Beat egg yolk on high and gradually add sugar (about 3 minutes, until thick and lemon coloured)
- Heat ¼ cup heavy cream over medium heat and add half of it to the egg mixture.
- On a low heat add the egg and cream to the rest of the cream in the saucepan, stirring constantly until it thickens (about 5 minutes)
- Add the chocolate chips and stir until they are melted completely.
- Remove from the saucepan, put into a bowl and refrigerate
- After 30 minutes, remove from the fridge and beat 2/3 cup heavy cream and vanilla in a chilled bowl until stiff.
- Slowly fold cream into chocolate mixture and refrigerate for another 30 minutes.
- Beat egg whites until stiff and fold into the chocolate mixture.
- Put the mousse into a glass or bowl and top with crushed graham crackers and raspberries.
- An electric mixer will come in handy.