They say if you love someone let them go and if the person comes back to you it was meant to be. I have been separated from my love for eight days (and counting) and although I am sure we will reunite, our time apart has left with me with some time to think. Why do I love food so much?
There are people, like my Dad, who although they appreciate a nice meal they eat in order to survive and then there are people like me, and some of you. We are often described as “foodies”, our friends ask us for restaurant recommendations and when we are out someone always passes us the wine list to make the decision for the table. In trying to trace back the journey that has brought me into this relationship that causes conflict between my waistline and my palette, I thought about the first thing I fell in love with. Believe it or not, it was prawn cocktail. Not an American-style Prawn Cocktail that serves cold prawns on ice with cocktail sauce.
This Prawn Cocktail was served over finely shredded lettuce, homemade Thousand Island dressing, sprinkled with sea salt and cracked black pepper with lemon wedges on the side. It was served in a large martini glass and when I was young enough to have to stretch to reach the table it made me feel all grown up. From then on whenever my family and I went out to eat, before even looking at the menu I knew what I was going to order for my appetizer so that I could relive the moment.
Since then I have fallen in love with many things beside Prawn Cocktail but some things remain the same. Food is my loyal companion after a rough day, my vehicle for spending time with those I love and my space to express creativity. Although I miss our connection, I know our love is real and we will soon be back together. Until then, enjoy making my new take on the classic prawn cocktail I fell in love with and let me know what you think.
Live, Love, Eat!
- 10 medium raw shrimp, peeled & deveined
- ½ medium tomato, chopped finely
- ½ large shallot, chopped finely
- Cilantro, chopped finely (about 3 tablespoons)
- ¼ green pepper, chopped finely
- ½ avocado, chopped finely (about 6 tablespoons)
- 3.5 oz of sweet corn (half a small can)
- 3 lettuce leaves, thinly chopped
- 1 teaspoon hot pepper sauce
- 1 teaspoon of sugar
- 2 lemons, squeezed
- salt and pepper
- Bring a pot of salted water to boil and add shrimp for 1-2 minutes, until they change colour
- Mix all the ingredients, except the lettuce, in a bowl and refrigerate until you are ready to serve. (the longer the better)
- Serve the shrimp on top of the lettuce and enjoy!