This is a quickie. For those times when you are in the mood to gorge but don’t have the time to cook a feast, I’ve got the snack for you. I used to only have crackling at Christmas, once the ham had finished cooking but it wasn’t yet time to have the family dinner, we would cut off some of the skin off the ham sprinkle it with salt and blast it in the oven. I remember the first time I ever had it, on one hand it felt like I was going to break my teeth and they’d fall out of my head because it was SO crunchy, but then the salty sweetness was addictive that I kept going for more.
If you’ve ever had the tasteless bags of pork skin from your local convenience store please do not use them as a reference for this recipe. I don’t recommend that this recipe become one of your regulars but I do think you should pull it out once in a while for a different kind of treat.
Tell me what you think.
Live, Love, Eat!
- 500 g Pork Skin, cut in cubes
- vegetable oil for deep frying
- coarse sea salt
- 1 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Heat the vegetable oil in the deep fat fryer at 375 degrees F.
- Preheat the oven at 400 degrees F.
- Once the oil is hot add pork skin and allow to cook for approximately 7 minutes.
- Remove pork with a slotted spoon and put it into a bowl and toss with salt before putting the pork on a baking tray and in the oven for 10 minutes or until golden brown.
- Drizzle honey and sprinkle cayenne pepper over crackling and enjoy.