There are some side dishes that are all year round staples but because they are so good you have to put them on the table for Christmas dinner and roasted potatoes is one of them. Last year we spent Christmas in New York, our menu included roasted potatoes, ham, turkey, prawn cocktail. Let’s just say I wasn’t responsible for cooking the potatoes but while the goose fat was in the oven smoke began to consume the kitchen area before taking over the entire apartment. My dog was running for cover while I opened the windows and kept fanning the smoke alarm at the same time as Steve put out the mini fire in the oven. Fortunately we were able to extinguish the fire but unfortunately not before the hallway of the apartment building resembled a scene from a movie and several fire trucks arrived prepared to save tenants of the 600+ apartments in my building. Everyone needs a good story to tell at Christmas and since no one was hurt the roasted potatoes of Xmas 2012 became ours.
To my knowledge, I had not had roast potatoes cooked in goose fat before that occasion and it made a huge difference. The potatoes crisped up perfectly so that the outside were glowing and had great texture. The final verdict is that for the best roast potatoes it’s about he goose fat, garlic and rosemary. They are simply delicious and incredibly irresistible. Create your own food memories this Christmas, who knows it may begin with these roasted potatoes?
This post is the first of my Christmas special where I’ll be posting recipes more frequently perfect for your Christmas dinner and parties. Watch this space and if you are feeling the spirit of Christmas yet, buy an advent calendar, go see some Christmas lights but make the effort to enjoy the season where families come together and spread some joy.
Spread them out so that they lay evenly in the roasting tin.
The finished product is absolutely delicious.
Live, Love, Eat!
- 1 kg or 8 Medium size potatoes (I used Maris Piper potatoes but any will do)
- 1/2 tablespoon dried rosemary
- 1.5 tablespoons goose fat
- 1/2 tablespoon minced garlic
- Preheat oven to 425°F or 220°C.
- Put the kettle on.
- Peel potatoes and cut into four and boil potatoes in salted water for five minutes.
- Once oven is hot, put the goose fat into a roasting tin and allow it to get hot until it is smoking.
- Drain potatoes and put them back into the pot with garlic, rosemary and salt. Shake until the potatoes are well mixed and battered slightly.
- Put potatoes into smoking goose fat and roast for an hour, turning them every 20 minutes.
- Salt to taste before you enjoy these beauties with your dinner.