Last weekend a friend came to visit and we completed “Mission Gastronomic Overindulgence”. Try and imagine almost four days of sipping sweet white wines, savouring delicious foods, drinking various cocktails, devouring divine desserts and then more dessert. During my time in culinary heaven I discovered Coffee Tequila but since I am on a health binge I will save that ingredient for later and talk about the other ingredient my friend introduced me to, Halloumi Cheese.
Halloumi reminded me of mozzarella in taste, slightly salty but not as gooey as mozzarella. Think mozzarella’s cousin not sister. This semi-hard cheese made from goat, sheep or cow’s milk is popular in Cyprus, Greece and the Middle East. It has a high melting point so it can be fried or grilled. My friend recommended that I grill it and eat with tomatoes and some balsamic vinegar. I followed his advice and also found happiness in this quick salad. I’ve added a few things for this recipe but my philosophy is the same, “Eat well, Laugh lots, Love more”.
Live, Love, Eat!
- 8 oz Halloumi cheese, cut into 4 slices
- 4 cups Spring Salad Mix (Lettuce, Greens & Radicchio)
- 2 (horizontal) Slices of red onion
- 4 Strawberries, sliced
- 8 Grape tomatoes, halved
- 4 Fresh basil leaves, chopped finely
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- Mix salad leaves, red onion, strawberries, tomatoes and basil together.
- Over medium heat, with a little olive oil, fry slices of halloumi for about 30 seconds on each side. Remove from the heat and place on top of salad.
- Stir olive oil and balsamic vinegar vigorously before dressing the salad.