This year was my first year in America for July 4th celebrations. I was invited to a barbecue by a friend and I thought that an Apple Pie would be the perfect thing to carry with me. Americans claim Apple Pie as their classic dessert and I claim Apple Pie to be one of my favourite desserts, so really the choice was easy. There is beauty in the simplicity of its flavours; the tart apples, sweet brown sugar and spiced seasonings topped with a flaky pie crust that somehow always satisfies my sweet tooth.
I usually make Apple Crumble (aka Apple Crisp) because it is a dessert my sister and I used to enjoy, but this time I decided to keep it all-American with a lattice pie crust topping. Vanilla ice cream or heavy cream is the ideal accompaniment for a truly harmonious plate. For some reason a hot pie with a scoop of cold ice cream creates memorable sensations for my palate. Remember sharing is caring but only when the people you share with are worth every lost bite.
Live, Love, Eat!
- 4 Golden Delicious Apples, peeled and cored
- Pie crust (2)
- 3/4 cups of sugar, (1/2 brown sugar and 1/4 superfine granulated sugar)
- 2 tablespoons flour
- 1 teaspoon cinnamon
- 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
- 2 tablespoons Amaretto
- 1 egg
- Sprinkle of salt (1/2 teaspoon)
- Preheat oven at 400°F.
- Mix all the ingredients except egg and butter in a large bowl.
- Spread butter on a 9″ pie tin.
- Lay one pie crust on the pie tin and the apple filling.
- Cut the second pie into 2′ slices.
- Form the lattice with the slices by alternating them.
- Beat egg and brush onto the pie dough.
- Bake for 30 – 40 minutes. (If at the 30 minutes your crust is brown, cover with foil)
- Let it rest before serving with ice cream/heavy cream.