I have never gone anywhere and ordered a veggie burger but I thought that making one would be a perfect Meatless Monday recipe since everyone loves a burger right? This recipe is packs a tone of flavour into this vegetarian meal. I used lentils for couple reasons, I had some leftover from my spicy sausage and lentil stew but more importantly lentils are a great source of protein, which I am sure vegetarians will appreciate. “With about 30% of their calories from protein, lentils have the third-highest level of protein, by weight, of any legume or nut.” I snacked on these veggie burgers but you can have two for a guilt-free dinner.
While the shallots are cooking put chickpeas, sweet potato and egg in a food processor to blend for about a minute.
Live, Love, Eat!
- 250 g canned chickpeas (approx. 3/4 can), rinsed and drained
- 1 cup boiled sweet potato
- 200 g lentils rinsed and drained
- 1 tablespoon EVOO
- 1 shallot, sliced
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1 teaspoon curry powder
- 1 teaspoon paprika
- 1 egg
- 1/8 cup flour for dusting
- ½ tablespoon red pepper flakes
- ½ cup feta cheese, roughly chopped
- 1/8 cup saffron yoghurt
- 1/8 cup chilli jam
- 1 small avocado, sliced
- 1 handful of cilantro, chopped
- 1/2 lime, juice
- 4 mini pita breads
- salt and pepper
- Cook the shallots and garlic in oil for about 3 minutes over medium heat until they are translucent and then season with spices.
- Meanwhile put chickpeas, sweet potato and egg in a food processor to blend for about a minute.
- In a bowl mixture sweet potato – chickpeas mixture with shallots, garlic, all powdered seasonings, lentils and salt and pepper.
- Heat olive oil in a pan with red pepper flakes over low heat.
- Dust hands with flour before forming four veggie patties from the mixture in your bowl.
- Increase heat to medium and cook the veggie patties for 4 minutes on each side.
- While the veggie patties are cooking toast your pita breads in the toaster then slice them open, creating a pocket for the veggie pattie, i.e. do not slice them all the way to open flat.
- Mix cilantro and lime with the saffron yoghurt and set aside
- Spread some chilli jam, place the veggie pattie inside, top with saffron yoghurt, avocado and feta cheese.